Overview of Mentryville, 1890s-early 1900s. At upper left is the 20,000-bbl oil storage tank erected in 1883.
At right is oil field superintendent C.A. Mentry's 13-room mansion, known as the Pico Cottage or the Big House.
In the trees above it (to its east) is the 1885 Felton School, which still stands, and beyond that, the
community room/dance hall, which doesn't.
At left in the foreground is the barn, which also still exists.
All of the buildings, including the school and barn, were painted in a gray or cream color under Standard Oil Co. ownership, so
this photograph might date to the second half of the first decade of the 20th Century.
See the same view of Mentryville ~1920, after the oil tank was removed, here.