Mentryville, seen here in about 1920, was a booming little oil town in Pico Canyon from about the time of the success of "Pico No. 4" in 1876 until the early 1930s.
In this photo, C.A. Mentry's 13-room mansion is clearly visible at lower right; the Felton School (1885) is behind it in the trees. The barn is at lower left.
are visible in the photo that no longer exist today. Notice that the school and barn are cream-colored, and the 20,000-bbl oil storage tank
seen in this photo has ben removed.
In 1962, A.B. Perkins wrote the following caption to a copy of this photograph:
[...] As of 1928, (starting lower right) Charles Sitzman lived in the big house, next cabin was unoccupied, next the school, then the dance hall, then the T. D. Ary, then Chester Johnson, and last on that side Milford Cheney. Starting on the lower left, the barn, then John McDermott's home, Josh Wooldridge, Pete Pinkston, and the second boarding house by the shale bank. Not shown, about a mile further up the canyon was Hugh Barton's, and the William Biscalluz cottage, the Cochems cabin, old boarding house. Apparently, employees could build cottages on Company ground. If transferred, or leaving company employ, the builders could sometimes sell their places to the Company if it was wanted or move them.
Pico Canyon / Mentryville Index
The Pico Ghost Camp by Arthur B. Perkins, 1962.
The Story of Mentryville by Leon Worden, 1996 ff.
AP2018: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print | Same as HS0500.