Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
National Forest Inn
Ridge Route

Real photo postcard of the National Forest Inn, ca. 1920.

The National Forest Inn was located on U.S. Forest land along the Ridge Route, about 12.2 miles north of Castaic. It was built in 1916 by Alfred R. Courtemanche, a French Canadian immigrant who later built the French Village in Newhall.

According to Harrison Scott (2002), the inn offered food, rest and gasoline, the resort being run for a time by Frank Lambert and William Rose and their wives, while Joe W. Palmer ran the garage. A fire started in the garage on Friday, Oct. 14, 1932[1], and the whole place burned down. It was not rebuilt because the next year, the Ridge Route alternate was to bypass the location.

1. Some sources say Oct. 20, but contemporary news coverage confirms the 14th. News reports blame a smoldering cigarette in a washroom.

LW2185: 4800 dpi jpeg from 120 dpi jpeg
Ridge Route

Courtemanche Index
ca. 1916

Travelers 1920 x2

RPPC ~1920

Business Card ~1920s

Dance Hall 1928

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ] is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV
The site owner makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the site owner. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.