Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
Travelers at the National Forest Inn
Ridge Route

View 1

View 2

Photograph: Travelers in front of National Forest Inn on the Ridge Route April 20, 1920. Caption states: "Elevation 5400 ft. Everybody happy. Just had a good lunch."

Ridge Route historian Harrison Scott writes in Californian Historian, Vol. 43 No. 4 (Summer 1997), a publication of the Conference of California Historical Societies:

At 12.4 miles we reach the National Forest Inn which was situated on government-owned land. All that remains today are cement steps on the west side of the road. It was described in a 1932 highway beautification pamphlet with this unkind caption: "The sort of filling station that gets into a national forest and is no addition thereto."

Unlike Sandberg's, which was constructed of logs, the National Forest Inn sported neatly trimmed white clapboard buildings. It was built by a gentleman named Courtemanche. A news clipping of 1925 indicates a Joe Palmer as proprietor of the National Forest Inn garage. The 1926 touring guide indicated that there were nine rooms in cottages, most with running water, from $1 to $2, lunch 75 cents; garage; camp 50 cents. A 1926 topography map spots a ranger station at this location. All of the accommodations were on the west side of the road. However, there was a large metal building on the east side which housed the highway repair facility and the ranger station.

Above this structure on a hill is a small cement-lined reservoir believed to have been built for fire control. Also, west of the of the reservoir are the foundation remains of an old airplane beacon. The beacon site is also shown on a 1928 topography map of the area.

The National Forest Inn was destroyed by a fire which originated in the garage on October 20, 1932. Mr. Martin owned the resort at the time, and was reported to have lost considerable cash in the blaze.

AL1921: 9600 dpi jpeg of 300 dpi jpg from original print
Ridge Route

Courtemanche Index
ca. 1916

Travelers 1920 x2

RPPC ~1920

Business Card ~1920s

Dance Hall 1928

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ] is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV
The site owner makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the site owner. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.