Charles E. Sitzman, superintendent of Standard Oil Co.'s Pico field, moonlighted as the owner of downtown Newhall's Soledad Hotel at the southwest corner of 9th Street and Spruce Street (later called San Fernando Road, later called Main Street).
Here, the hotel is decked out for a Fourth of July celebration; the year is unknown, but it's probably 1932 or 1934, when Newhall had big parades.
Note the Blue Eagle coffee shop on the corner; long story short (skipping a few things including a remodel), it became the Way Station.
Note the Safeway grocery store at left. Newhall had two Safeway stores in operation simultaneously, across the street from each other.
SZ3401: 9600 dpi jpeg from original photograph.