July 4, 1964 — Newhall Woman's Club float in the 1964 Newhall Fourth of July Parade, photographed in front of Harry's Reliable Shoe Repair (Harry Osler) at 24363 San Fernando Road
(west side of Main Street between 8th and 9th).
"It's a Grand Old Flag, 1777-1962" shows the evolution of the American flag from the 13-star version adopted in 1777 to the 50-star version. We don't know why they say "1962," but it's likely
that 1962 was the first time the 50-star flag was available in Newhall. We know Newhall residents were still flying 48-star flags in the 1961 parade, as seen here,
even though the 50-star flag was formally adopted after the admission of Hawaii in August 1959 and flew for the first time over Fort McHenry in Baltimore on July 4, 1960.
The photograph is from the collection of Dean and Gwen Booth Gallion; Gwen's mother, Mary Booth, is portraying Betsy Ross here. Also present are Joan Russell, the club president; and
Creola Ray, Jean Tutini and Vera Steere.