Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Livery Stable
Newhall, California

Click image to enlarge

Ed Pardee built this livery stable, where one could presumably board and/or rent horses, in 1887 at the northeast corner of Spruce Street (later called San Fernando Road and still later, Main Street) and what would become Market Street.

Considering the angle of the photograph, which probably dates from the 1890s, the building at right in the background would be the potato warehouse at the southeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Market Street — the twin of the Newhall train station at the northeast corner.

Note in the closeup that the stable hand appears to be African American.

Also note what appears to be a weather vane in the shape of a horse atop the building. Next to it is a sign with letters that appear to be L and E, suggesting the sign reads, "STABLE."

AP0604b: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print


Newhall Livery


Livery (Detail)


Ed & Prize Horse ~1890s


Livery & Second Southern Hotel


Livery & 2nd Southern Hotel 1910

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ] is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV
The site owner makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the site owner. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.