Aug. 15, 2001: (Above left) Members of the SCV Historical Society board of directors (seated)
meet in the Harry Carey Ranch House with Tesoro del Valle developers John Evans (left) of Evans-Collins Community Builders and Bill Rattazzi (second from right)
of SunCal Companies to discuss the site plan for the Harry Carey Historic District. The plan calls for the
addition of a landscaping buffer, and for three structures that are currently west and
north of the main adobe ranch house a small smokehouse, the adobe stables and the wooden stables
to be relocated into the one-acre district. The relocation is to be overseen by Melvyn
Green (photo, right), a structural engineer who has been retained by the developers as a
historical consultant for the project.
The Society will be undertaking a number of activities as the property is restored,
such as an inventory of the artifacts left behind by the Clougherty family
(owners of the Farmer John line of meat products,
who purchased the property c. 1953 and used it as a summer retreat). Once restoration is complete
and the first Tesoro homes are sold in 2002, the Society will maintain the historic site as a museum.
Photos by Leon Worden.