Situated among the cabins that housed Sterling Borax Company miners and their families in Tick Canyon, below the tailings at Davenport Road, was a schoolhouse. Known as the "Lang" or "Sterling" school, it was the edifice of the short-lived Sterling School District.
We don't know when it opened (mining began in 1908), but its days were numbered when 18-year-old Pasadena High School graduate Corrine Robertson arrived in early 1923 to teach what was probably its last semester. Mining had ceased in 1921. By 1924, when Corrine and her sister Irene were still living in "bacheloress apartments" in Tick Canyon — as reported in The Signal when it told of a strange incident (below) where Corrine wandered off and got lost in Soledad Canyon — or was she really just visiting the Shaefer boy? — the mining operation was mentioned in the past tense, and the school, not at all.
In 1925, the 26x50-foot, wood-frame schoolhouse was moved to Agua Dulce where it replaced a less formidable school building. Evidently the Sterling School District was dissolved and absorbed into the Agua Dulce School District. After initially offering the Sterling school for sale, the Agua Dulce school board decided a week later to keep it, along with its furniture, fixtures — and funding.
As for the pretty Miss Robertson, it's unclear whether she pursued her stated goal of studying journalism at USC. We don't find her byline anywhere (under either her maiden or married name). We do, however, find her teaching at Newhall School from 1925-1928. More to follow.