Saugus was named for the Massachusetts birthplace of local land owner Henry Mayo Newhall. Known for a time in
the early 1900s as "Surrey," the town took shape in 1887, just one year prior to H.M. Newhall's death, when the Saugus
Train Station was erected.
This is the downtown business district as it appeared in the mid-1950s, looking north. Clearly visible are the Saugus Train Station
at center, the water tank and the businesses lining the west side of San Fernando (Bouquet Canyon) Road,
including the Saugus Café (directly above the train station in the photo).
Image enhanced by Audrey Erickson.