January 4, 1938 —
Three views, one looking northeast (above) and the others looking southwest (below) from the Southern Pacific Railroad crossing next to Pine Street in Newhall. 6¼x8½-inch prints, damaged (probably water damage), especially at the right and bottom margins.
The same forgotten photographer also shot photos of Saugus Junction on the same date. Two months later, the Great Flood of 1938
would make a mess of these scenes.
In the photo above, the photographer is standing on the south side of the tracks (the "1" on the aerial view below) and looking toward downtown Newhall. The SPRR Newhall Depot at the northeast
corner of Market Street and Railroad Avenue is in the center of the photograph between two utility poles. Newhall Ice Co., est. 1903 at 5th Street, is at center-left (see inset).
In the photos below, the photographer is standing on the north side of the tracks (the "2" on the aerial view below) and looking in the direction of Sierra Highway, which is out of view.
The Frew property, which would later become part of Hart Park, is to the photographer's right (south), out of frame.
The first photo below shows the Standard Oil Company building and tanks on the left (north) side of San Fernando Road, now called Newhall Avenue. Not to be outdone, the Union Oil Company has four
tanks on the south side. The second photo below is a closer (tighter) view.
The backs of the photographs are dated January 4, 1938, and numbered, respectively,
The photographer and the purpose of the photographs is unknown.
9600 dpi jpegs from original photographs in Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society Collection.