Saugus was named for the Massachusetts birthplace of local land owner Henry Mayo Newhall.
The town took shape in 1887 when the Saugus Train Station was erected at the approximate site of the old Newhall Depot. (The town
of Newhall and its depot were established in 1876 near the intersection of present-day San
Fernando Road and Magic Mountain Parkway. The town and depot picked up and moved two miles south, to Sixth Street
and Railroad Avenue, in January-February 1878.)
Saugus station master Ore W. Bercaw opened the two-story Surrey Inn, seen in this 1920s photograph, in 1911. As postmaster in 1906,
he renamed the town "Surrey" for unknown reasons.
In 1915, the Surrey Post Office was renamed Saugus, and the Surrey name faded away.