Campus Fire Disrupts Classes

by Cory Rubin, Staff Writer 360 views0

Valencia- Firefighters responded quickly to a small brush fire that erupted in the hills behind Towsley Hall Tuesday afternoon. Fire alarms and smoke disrupted classes as students rushed to catch a glimpse of the blaze that started around 1:30pm. Fire crews responded in about three minutes to assist college safety crews in extinguishing the fire which also sparked a small dumpster fire. Officials believe that a cigarette butt ignited the blaze that threatened to ignite the tanks of flammable gas for welding that are stored nearby but thanks to the quick reaction of college safety personnel and firefighters no damage or injuries were reported.

Firefighters remind students to be cautious with lit cigarettes and dispose of butts in proper receptacles as summer approaches and if you should see a fire report it immediately.